Sunday, July 28, 2013

I'm "Wild about Books"App

The electronic book Wild about Books was extraordinarliy engaging.  I felt like spending hours looking through the story book and discovering all that the ebook had to offer.  The writing was exceptional and supported vocabulary development. There was a very interesting rhyme scheme throughout the story that made the reading process more interesting. The meaning of many challenging vocabulary words was supported by pictures and other multimodal features.  The artwork was superb and helped entice the reader to continue to discover the story content.  In addition the story was read orally while the specific words were highlighted to help support students to read independently, without the assistance of a teacher.  Using the electronic features was very natural and intuitive. The only negative aspect I could identify was the fact that some autistic students my find the features overstimulating.  Last semester, I had one autistic student who would quickly become alarmed by sudden or unexpected sounds. This is one thing I would need to consider in determining who would be able to use this book.

I evaluated the literary app "Scribble press." I found it to be very fun and I'm sure it helps promote students in advancing in using different electronic components. Students were encouraged to fill in the blanks to write a story. Then, students could create the cover for the book that they "wrote" by choosing very specific markers and artistic tools from the "marker wall." I am sure this app is very beneficial for elementary students; however, it would be a huge waste time for my high school students.  Later, when I went home, I tried to find some literary apps which would appropriately engage high school students. I wasn't able to find any. Do any exist for high school students? If so, where might I be able to find them?
source

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I agree, I definitely found more apps for elementary age students than teens. I teach English so I was looking for apps that might aid a middle or high school student with the writing process or even inspire ideas. I'm sure they exist, we just need to keep looking. But I agree there is a plethora of apps for younger kiddos. Elementary schools need to be investing in iPads for the sheer fact that there is so much out there to aid an elementary schooler in literacy with the apps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read somewhere the biggest educational app market is for preschoolers since developers are aiming at parents. Maybe some productivity apps like notability would be more appropriate for the hs kids you work with?

    ReplyDelete